Friday, January 05, 2007

Our "Prom Revisited" New Year

Wow, I guess I'm getting better - it's only 5 days into 2007 and I'm doing my New Year's post! Only time will tell if I actually hold to my resolution of staying on top of this blog.

Nick and I had a fabulous New Year celebration with friends. It was the most creative party I think I've ever been to - the theme was "prom revisited." Picture prom, a decade plus after the actual event, but this time being able to a) drink legally, b) REALLY LIKE your date, and c) choose the music! It didn't seem like anyone actually wore their old prom dress or suit, but my friend Kim did find a hideous pink sparkly dress that looked like something that was probably worn to prom in the late 80s, crimped her hair, and added a Madonna-esque (think "Holiday" or "Like a Virgin") headband that was delightfully gross. The best part was that her boyfriend found PINK pants and a plaid jacket with every primary and secondary color in it. Sadly (or fabulously, depending on how much you watch the Style Channel), it was actually pretty fashionable. I guess every bad fashion era comes back around.

Here's Kim in the pink and our friend Daryn in the middle.

Nick and I re-enact our New Year's kiss for the camera:

Having just returned from Tahoe, we had exactly one day to put together our "Prom" outfits. Nick unearthed a nasty tie he inherited from a distant relative over 10 years ago, and we found some gray triple pleated 2-inch-too-short pants that went SOOO well with black sneakers and tartan socks. With the tie knotted so short that it actually hung out of the double breasted jacket (also inherited years ago), he was really channeling his inner 18-year-old dork.

The day before the party, we hit all of the local thrift stores with the hope of finding a bad taffeta number for me, but all we could find was this old bridesmaid dress. It wasn't as frightening as I would have hoped, but at least it only cost $13.

All decked out, we had a fantastic time at the Prom, drank our fair share of champagne, and celebrated into the wee hours. We laughed at everyone's old prom pictures and grooved to our old prom theme songs. Everyone at the party was having such a good time, we almost missed midnight!

No comments: