Even though the holidays were supposed to be low-key (stay in San Diego, work a bunch) and romantic (the two of us, cooking at home, enjoying our last Christmas in San Diego and enjoying the time together), the whole two weeks ended up such a whirlwind!! Nick and I had a really lovely Christmas: opening presents over the phone with the Brace clan and making a far-too-large brunch that included one-too-many Bloody Marys, going out to see a movie (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) and finishing the day with cocktails and dessert at our dear friend Kate's house. Even though we had gotten all of the fixins for a Christmas dinner fit for a royal party of two, we were too stuffed from brunch to even think about making more food. Thankfully, we did end up having that feast a few days later!
Nick and I had been hoping that New Year's plans would fall into our laps, and just before we headed up to Big Bear we got an invite from Kim and Jared (of sledding picture fame) to go up to Big Sur (up the CA coast) for a New Year camping adventure. Kim and Jared were certainly the only people we knew there, but because the whole group was more or less centered around one guy, a friend of Kim's from UC Davis, everyone was connected by a few degrees anyhow. We met a bunch of great people and enjoyed the scenery, despite the rain and the fact that this past fall's fires closed most of the local hiking trails. But just in case you were worried that we didn't get our fill of the great outdoors, it was COLD and HUMID (the combo, in case you're wondering, is pretty bone-chilling) and we spent more hours in front of a fire trying to stay warm than we did actually sleeping. We stayed in tent cabins in a beautiful campground on the banks of the Big Sur River and got to fall asleep and wake up to the sound of teeny waterfall just down the riverbank. I hope to have pictures up soon!
Right around the same time we were settling on New Year's plans, we were invited to spend the week after the New Year with friends in Tahoe. We initially felt a little apprehensive about taking the time off from work, but once it settled in that this was our last winter in California and our last opportunity for a wintertime road trip, we decided to be spontaneous. We squeezed Nick's snowboard gear and some winter/snow clothes in with the camping gear into the Prius and headed up the coast to Big Sur. Saturday we drove up to Tahoe and Sunday we hit the slopes. Nick did a lot of snowboarding and I did a lot of snowshoeing (and, bein sur, picture taking!), and we spent a day together cross-country skiing. Damn, that downhill "plow" position hurt my knees as much as I remember!! Then again, falling hurt more ... =) We had a great time and I got to have my special time with nature. Ohmmmmmmm ................
Anyway, we got back yesterday (Friday) after a looong drive. The drive down Rte 395 from Carson City to San Diego isn't new to us, but neither of us had done it before in the winter. As we were driving through the mountains in the snow I got very emotional. The snow-covered caps were stunning (the photographer in me was too overcome to even try to stop and take pictures - we never would have gotten home, and I think I was in more of a mental-snapshot mood anyway). It's so dramatic to realize that on one side of you there are King's Canyon and Sequoia National Parks with some of the tallest peaks in the country, and on the other side of you is Death Valley. I just couldn't stop looking out the window and thinking about how crazy we are to be leaving this amazing place where we have every climate, every topographical feature, so much beauty and diversity within a short drive ... I know we're going to love Columbus and I know we will LOVE being closer to our families, but maybe I'm just filled with regret that we didn't find ways to explore this wonderful backyard of ours more. Sigh.
So now it's back to San Diego and back to the grind, and I'm giving fair warning that it might take a bit longer than usual to get pictures up on the blog. Hopefully not, but I'm being optimistically pessimistic!
Happy New Year, everyone!
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment