After about a year of hemming and hawing and trying to decide whether getting a kitten would ruin Natasha's princess existence or make all of our lives more exciting, we have adopted an adorable kitten. We were planning to go through a breeder, but I kept checking petfinder, hoping that a russian blue rescue would pop up ... and voila! Thursday at work I noticed a posting for two russian blue mix baby boys that had been found in a playground. I came home, showed Nick, and we immediately got in the car and drove out to El Cajon to check them out. The adoption facility for the shelter is in a PetSmart store, but a volunteer from the shelter itself had to be there for us to meet the kittens face-to-face. So Friday after work we headed out there again and spent a good hour with the two little guys, but we just couldn't decide which one to adpot. We decided to sleep on it (and the adoption specialist from the shelter wouldn't be available until today anyway) ... and today we went back and brought home with us the sweetest, most calm, and most affectionate kitten I've ever met (including Natasha!). He and his brother were both charmers, but his brother was still very very skittish around people. This made us worry about the way he would acclimate with Natasha, who we knew wouldn't take to the change so well. So we picked this little guy out: he's super playful and quite the climber, and despite having settled on the name "Boris" for a new cat long ago, our new buddy just didn't seem the Boris type. We went through many many names and both loved Naski [NAH-skee] (which is Russian for "socks" - check out his white feet!). Naski it is!!
Naski turned out to be a fantastic car cat! He started crying once we got on the highway, so Nick opened the carrier to pet him ... Naski wanted out and to be held!! He and Nick cuddled on the ride home and he seemed to enjoy watching the world go by. Now he's up in the second bathroom getting settled. He and Tasha haven't yet started sniffing each other out under the door, but Tasha girlie knows something is up and she's not a happy camper. I'm sure we'll have a ga-gillion pictures to come, but I wanted you all to be the first to know about the addition to our family!
9 comments:
Hi guys! Naski is adorable!!! Nick looks like a proud new daddy, haha. Hope he and Tasha take to each other. Found your blog thru the Gregorka Zoo :)
Oh my goodness, so so cute! I love the name and it works well with Natasha too without being too cutesy. Congrats, can't wait to see more pics of the little guy!
Dad checked your blog last night, Naski is adorable -- and the 'socks' are a perfect fit. Once Tasha gets adjusted (ask Nick how long it takes to adjust to a new sibling) they will be great company for each other. Looking forward to more pics. Lynda
Congratulations!!! He is such a handsome cat! Hope the adjustment goes well for both, additions can be hard but it always ends up being better in the end. Great pictures too (as usual). xoxo
Chris and Kate
How very exciting!!
And this posting makes me look all the more pathetic that we've had our new kittens for over a month, and I STILL haven't posted a blog about them yet. Erin Sinnokrak -- making her friends look inferior. That's why we love her!
PS. Naski is adorable! Can't wait to meet him...
Yay Naski! But how is Natasha doing . . . ?
Great name... it really fits.
As if we didn't have enough cats, Emily found a fourth (running around her aunt's backyard). I've told her NO MORE! And now she's looking for a home (or even a shelter that has space...)
Have fun!
SO CUTE!!!
I can't believe it! He reminds me of somebody --- oh yeah! A mini Calvosko! Sort of. Congrats! It's been awhile since I've blog stalked you, so sorry for not sending my congrats sooner! I can't wait to soon see some pics of Natasha and Naski cuddled up together ;)
Post a Comment